Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tutorial: Hipster Galaxy Print Shirt DIY!!

I love the galaxy print. I've been coveting Christopher Kane's galaxy print shirts, jackets, dresses....
 Aaaah. I do love them. Alas, they are faaaar out of my price range. So I decided to DIY it. Obviously, I can't mimic everything, seeing as how that there is fabric and I can't exactly make that, but I was determined to get something galaxy printed into my wardrobe.

I decided to go ahead and just paint some galaxies onto things. I love my acrylic paints, and decided to try them out here instead of going nuts and buying a lot of fabric paint.
Ta-daaaa!!

 
So I went to XXI, the place to go for cheap, DIYable clothes. I got this kinda draping dolmany T there for $5. You'll want to slide it onto a piece of cardboard so when you paint it won't stick to the back of the fabric. It doesn't need to be super tight, just a good back.
 Next, take some masking tape and outline the area you want to pain in. You can free hand it, but I decided to go with a triangle because I thought it looked kinda cool.
I recommend practicing on a spare piece of T Shirt, just so you can get the feel of it.
 Then go ahead and splurt a bunch of colors onto the shirt. INCLUDING BLACK, you'll need it to blend. You don't want the T Shirt black coming thorugh anyway.
 Basically just smear it all together in an interesting, Nebula kind of way. I advise googling it until you become familiar with the concept, but it's pretty easy.

 When you're done with that, add some random specklies with white and yellow to look like stars. The look really isn't complete without them, and then your galaxy will just look so legit.
 After you're done, I'd recommend pulling you're shirt up off the cardboard, to make sure it doesn't try sticking to it. My shirt was pretty thick with paint, as I was pretty anal about getting it right, and so I was proud of myself for remembering.

 Gaaah!! Look at all that paint!!

Let it dry, preferably overnight. It will be pretty stiff and smell painty, and I don't now if washing the shirt is a good idea, but it WILL have an Awesome galaxy print on it.
 Wooo!! I'm in Spaaaaaaace!
And there you have it. Fun, simple, and ADORABLE.

8 comments:

  1. Love the idea!

    Check out my blog - collegekid01.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend fabric medium for acrylic paint - works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! that's really creative . i'll try some. i also love galaxy/nebula printed

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you happen to sell this?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah I was looking for this :)
    Btw, how do you wash this? just clean it by hand with some water and soap around the painting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's also called "textile medium" and is a white liquid sold with acrylic paints.. just mix it in, you can heat-set the paint after it dries or just wash it for permanent fabric paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! there's another way with bleach that makes it less stiff!
    (ps. i would love it if you checked out my blog thegirlwhopaints.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...